Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
61571 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default How to check total RAM memory available in a VPS in *realtime* .. ?

Hi guys .. I recently purchased a VPS, and on paper its supposed to give me 1 GB of dedicated memory and another 1 GB of burstable memory ... So at any given time, the total amount of memory that should be available to me should be between 1 GB and 2 GB, right ? Correct me if I'm wrong ..

How can I check this from within my Ubuntu VPS ? So that I know I'm getting what I'm paying for ..
    ahmadka Reviewed by ahmadka on . How to check total RAM memory available in a VPS in *realtime* .. ? Hi guys .. I recently purchased a VPS, and on paper its supposed to give me 1 GB of dedicated memory and another 1 GB of burstable memory ... So at any given time, the total amount of memory that should be available to me should be between 1 GB and 2 GB, right ? Correct me if I'm wrong .. How can I check this from within my Ubuntu VPS ? So that I know I'm getting what I'm paying for .. Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

free -m
    etc

You can't technically know how much the host server has as most vps software doesn't show the total ram.

Website's:
    aquickhost.com
    you should have a vps panel like virtuzzo, solusvm, where u can check total ram used.

from command line : top , free etc.

Well, the reason why I think I'm running low on memory is because when I have a VPN session on and I type in 'java' (needed for jDownloader) in the console, I get the following error:

Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.
    However, if I restart the VPS and do not start the VPN service, and instead just login through ssh again and type in java, I get the correct response (all java parameters listed, etc) ...

So how can check this out ?

I tried to use 'free', and the output I get is this:

root@server1:~# free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 4294967292 190300 4294776992 0 0 51608
    -/+ buffers/cache: 138692 4294828600
    Swap: 524288 0 524288
    root@server1:~#
    And I'm not really sure what this means ..

Respected Member
    I can't say for sure but looks like the server has 4 gig and all of it is being used in a shared pool with a swap file of only 512kb. In my opinion swap file should be at least same size as available ram. It also should be 4 gig.

SO I would guess and say that you are being cheated and not getting 1 gig dedicated.

Top should give you what is running on your vps and how much memory is used for each program. Add it up and see what is the total .

What does top show when you get the memory error AND what does top show after you reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by Lock Down View Post
    I can't say for sure but looks like the server has 4 gig and all of it is being used in a shared pool with a swap file of only 512kb. In my opinion swap file should be at least same size as available ram. It also should be 4 gig.

SO I would guess and say that you are being cheated and not getting 1 gig dedicated.

Top should give you what is running on your vps and how much memory is used for each program. Add it up and see what is the total .

What does top show when you get the memory error AND what does top show after you reboot?

Actually the swap file is 512 MB, not 512 KB ..

I tried using 'top' but I don't know how to see ALL apps I'm running in one view, so that I can add their total memory used ..

Its quite surprising there's no easy way to check this in linux, of all OSes ... I thought this would be pretty easy to do ..

To check free memory in Megabytes
    Code: 
    free -m
    minus the cached memory from used RAM to get original RAM usage.

You can use
    Code: 
    to get system monitor and hit Shift+M (capital M) to get processes ordered by RAM usage.

You can also use
    Code: 
    ps aux
    to get all processes list.

Regards

I heard Jdownloader uses too much ram on 64 bit Linux Os'

Probation

Default prueba

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
    Hi guys .. I recently purchased a VPS, and on paper its supposed to give me 1 GB of dedicated memory and another 1 GB of burstable memory ... So at any given time, the total amount of memory that should be available to me should be between 1 GB and 2 GB, right ? Correct me if I'm wrong ..

How can I check this from within my Ubuntu VPS ? So that I know I'm getting what I'm paying for ..
    mira el manueal

Thread Information