Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6856 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Website's:
    felonygames.com

Default Question for site owner or admin

Is the shoutbox hard on your server(s). it something that i wonder from time to time. Seems like every time the server is running slow i think about the shoutbox eating up all the resources. Not that its ever the cause.
    bmoeller Reviewed by bmoeller on . Question for site owner or admin Is the shoutbox hard on your server(s). it something that i wonder from time to time. Seems like every time the server is running slow i think about the shoutbox eating up all the resources. Not that its ever the cause. Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Yeah, shoutbox known to be very resource intensive.

Website's:
    EastsideHosting.com MediaONAIR.com ImgWiz.com cPadmin.net EastsidePCWorks.com HostedTalk.com
    Yes, Shoutboxes, Chatrooms or Chat Boxes are known to be resource intensive because;

Server it's on is slow. (CPU, RAM, Network)
    Writing to Flat files (temp file and writes to an XML)
    Uses MySQL (MYSQL is a resource hog all it's own.

If the chat uses XML, could also make it slow (Ajax too)
    EastsideHosting - (Web Hosting, Proxy Hosting, Reseller Program)
    MediaONAIR - (SHOUTcast Servers, ICEcast Servers, Reseller Program)
    Server Administrator - (Dedicated Servers, VPS Management, One Time Services)
    ImgWiz - (Free Image Hosting)

Thats why I don't have one on my site.

OH GOD!!!!!
    Website's:
    HotNewHipHop.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoeller View Post
    Is the shoutbox hard on your server(s). it something that i wonder from time to time. Seems like every time the server is running slow i think about the shoutbox eating up all the resources. Not that its ever the cause.
    for what kind of script?

for vbulletin, I wouldnt really say it makes a big difference (well not in my case), I had the CYB shoutbox in a 512mb ram VPS and It really didnt make a difference, Im guessing on shared servers it does.

But alone php chat scripts do consume alot of resources tho

Website's:
    felonygames.com
    BXFLOW, i was referring to the chat box at this site

@bmoeller
    KWWHunction is using the CYB Chatbox, same Chatbox that bxflow used, and it makes a big difference when it comes to the load if site has active users like KWWHunction. But again, KWWHunction has no other fancy mods so the loading is pretty much okay.

Website's:
    KWWHunction.com wgtools.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoeller View Post
    It was, but, that's all fixed now. Has been for some time actually. Hopefully we don't see any further slow parts of the site for some time to come. If anyone wants the modifications to the code, PM me. I'll get around to posting it up shortly (currently away from regular PC). I don't mean the "design" either BTW.

With 10-20 or even 30 people in CB now, plus our regular site load, we rarely use 30-40% of available resources with a fairly low end server, that's with 350+ people online the site with quite a few page views. We used to be 60-70%, so the "standard" CB code isn't the greatest, far from the worst though.

Banned
    Mr eLight you are the best owner i have seen so far on big sites..keep rocking

Thread Information