Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6979 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Difference between VPS and Semi-Dedi/Dedi.

I'm currently on Shared. I'm considering moving to another host with better speeds. Anybody could explain the difference between VPS and Semi-Dedicated/Dedicated host? I've read stuff like Managed, unmanaged, etc. Not too sure what those are. Would i get better speed/uptime with VPS/Dedicated? I've been using shared and have no issues with it. Maybe perhaps VPS is just like Shared but with benefits? Idk.

Would appreciate if anybody could explain more.

Thanks !
    Danny Reviewed by Danny on . Difference between VPS and Semi-Dedi/Dedi. I'm currently on Shared. I'm considering moving to another host with better speeds. Anybody could explain the difference between VPS and Semi-Dedicated/Dedicated host? I've read stuff like Managed, unmanaged, etc. Not too sure what those are. Would i get better speed/uptime with VPS/Dedicated? I've been using shared and have no issues with it. Maybe perhaps VPS is just like Shared but with benefits? Idk. Would appreciate if anybody could explain more. :) Thanks ! Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Respected Member
    As far as I know semi does not have root access and vps does. Semi-dedicated seems more rare to find. Managed they set everything up for you and secure the server. They do the updates and fix any problems. You will need this I believe

VPS -> Same as dedicated, they are different because dedicated you are the only one on the server, VPS shared by 5-6(maybe more) clients.

As for semi-dedicated is same like dedicated server but you share it with 2-3 people plus and you dont have root access.

What knowledge do i need to use VPS/Dedi? Is it just like using Shared?

From my understanding, list would go like this.
    From not so good, to the best

- Shared
    - VPS
    - Semi-dedicated
    - Dedicated

Is that right?

yes thats correct there is some places where you buy a vps for just you i didn't know people mass sell vps's like that wow

Are there any set-ups and whatnot needed to be done by me if i decide to transfer from my shared host to a VPS one though?

Respected Member
    If it's unmanaged there is quite a bit you need to do to get setup and secure. Managed, they do it for you. They should be able to move your site for you as well. If you're running fine on shared then there is no need to upgrade. Ask your current host if you should or not

Website's:
    oulee.com ouleehosting.com litespeedhosting.co.uk ddosprotectedhosting.co.uk radiohost.co.uk windowshosting.im
    Basically semi-dedi is better than VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    If it's unmanaged there is quite a bit you need to do to get setup and secure. Managed, they do it for you. They should be able to move your site for you as well. If you're running fine on shared then there is no need to upgrade. Ask your current host if you should or not
    Thing is i'm planning to change to a different host ( that's the hard part though cause everybody here says they're the best ). I've read way too much nightmare experience and i'm not planning to go through that.

So as said, i'm on Shared. Speed is just okay but i'm looking for better speed. I'm assuming a VPS would be a lot faster ( right? ). I'm not too technically knowledged when it comes to setting some stuff up in VPS since i've never done it. I'm just looking for a VPS where they could transfer my current files and DB. It's just frustrating looking for a good host. So before i commit to a host, i just want to know which should be better for me between VPS, Semi-dedicated and dedicated since i'm not too familiar with the whole setting up, managing and whatnot. Been on Shared for 3 years and have no issues understanding anything since everything has been set up for you. Not sure how big of a difference between Shared and the rest.

VPS Is better As U will be having All Sort Of Details With u . U can Modify & Secure to what extent u like . After Dedicated, VPS is the best Choice . If you have basic knowledge of linux or windows . you can secure own VPS Server . if not Managed VPS is Better stage . where u can demand the provider what stuffs u need them to install for u.

Thank You,

Regards,
    SarkarRaj.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information