Hey everyone.

First time poster here, but have been told KWWHunction is the place to be to get support and ideas for anything and everything hosting related. Particularily, file hosting!

Righty oh!, Let's get this out of the way!

I'm not a 'pirate' and not a host (yet), but I have to say, the idea of being a host is interesting to me and I'de like to give it a shot.

I don't want to be like every other file hosts, and I don't want to start up a scam site that will close down in few weeks/months ( though it is tempting ;] ). I'm looking to start somthing that is open, transparent and sustainable. And of course, profitable.

I've noticed there have been an increasing number of websites taking up CarrotPay payments, and an ever decreasing number of file hosts accepting Paypal.. So my idea is somewhat a hybrid of what others have already done. I'de love to hear your opinion!

Starting a new file host!

Reward schemes for uploaders

• Pay per download - Instead of a paying per thousand downloads, I think paying per GB transfered would be a good alternative. I have in mind, $0.04 per GB. If you translate this to per 1000 downloads, thats about $20 per 1000 downloads at 500MB per file.
  • Pay per sale - Instead of selling permium accounts, download coupons (which essentially work out to be the same) would be sold instead. Resellers/Affiliates can earn a percentage on the coupon sale. Say, 40%.

Revenue streams for the host

• Advertising (banners, not popups)
  • Individual download sales - Allow downloaders to buy one-off file downloads instead of becoming a member (buying coupons) at a rate of $0.20 per GB.
  • Sales of download coupons (similar to memberships actually) - Downloaders will be able to buy download coupons with a set expiry date. For example, 75GB coupon sold for $10 that valid for 1 month. 900GB coupon sold for $90 valid for 1 year.

Free Downloads

Limit free downloads to 500MB per person per day. No waiting time, no captchas, no speed limit.

Of course the implementation of which is another story, but I think I have this covered. I hope to buy, or clone the software used by an already existent 'file host' and adapt my model to it.

Let me know you thoughts and opinions. I'de love to be able to refine my idea.

I'm not the most articulate of people so if my idea isnt clear, please ask and I'll clarify.

tmcsharer Reviewed by tmcsharer on . New idea for FileHosts. Looking for feedback Hey everyone. First time poster here, but have been told KWWHunction is the place to be to get support and ideas for anything and everything hosting related. Particularily, file hosting! Righty oh!, Let's get this out of the way! I'm not a 'pirate' and not a host (yet), but I have to say, the idea of being a host is interesting to me and I'de like to give it a shot. I don't want to be like every other file hosts, and I don't want to start up a scam site that will close down in few Rating: 5