Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
61247 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default Intersted in starting a hosting company

good day KWWH, i am here to seek help from experts about starting a web hosting Business

i have fair amount of knowledge about Linux but i am not an expert .. what should be the road map for me ..from where should i start ..do i need to know about networking ..and how deep understanding i need about virtualization if i want to sell Virtual private server
    leonight Reviewed by leonight on . Intersted in starting a hosting company good day KWWH, i am here to seek help from experts about starting a web hosting Business i have fair amount of knowledge about Linux but i am not an expert .. what should be the road map for me ..from where should i start ..do i need to know about networking ..and how deep understanding i need about virtualization if i want to sell Virtual private server Rating: 5
    go

2.   Sponsored Links

I'm going to jump in on this just because no one else has yet.

DO. NOT. START. A. HOSTING. BUSINESS.

There is absolutely nothing that you can provide to your customers they can't get somewhere else with either more features or a lower price or both.

If you try to start a web hosting company that markets exclusively on the web with no other products and services other than domains/hosting/ssl/etc you are going to fail.

Look at all of the hosting providers here on KWWHunction. How many do you see? Why do you think KWWHunction has such strict rules on how they conduct themselves on this forum? How many threads have you seen here about people getting screwed when a host goes under?

Let me answer those questions for you. There are a lot of them, they are all going after the same customers on the same website with the same services and generally the only difference between them is how low some idiot is willing to price his hosting. Then later on the idiot i mentioned before who now has a bunch of customers that don't even begin to cover his costs because they are only paying $1 a month BEFORE payment service fees is losing money and can't sustain his business.

You aren't going to be able to compete on tech. The big multi-million dollar hosting companies like SingleHop and RackSpace and Amazon AWS have that on lock down. After all, they can afford to innovate.

You aren't going to be able to compete on price. Look at how many companies have sub $1.50 per month plans listed here. Ask them how that's working out. You have to sell a hell of a lot of hosting to a hell of a lot of people to cover your costs at $1.50 a month per user.

You aren't going to be able to compete on customer service. You can't offer the tech, so you decide to compete on price. Now you don't have enough to really even cover your server costs let alone hire someone to do tickets or provide support for you. Your service is going to suck. Period.

So now you have poor service which causes high turnover in your clients, you have low prices and aren't making enough money so you decide to call it quits.

The cycle then continues when someone else comes on these forums and asks about starting a hosting business.

If you are looking for a hobby, go find something that doesn't affect other people and their data when you decide it isn't worth doing anymore.

If you are in this for a get rich quick, it's not going to happen. If you don't have the technical experience required to setup, maintain and backup servers while avoiding security threats and DDoS, don't get into this business.

Get Linux for yourself, play with it.

When you are good enough, go for it.

@ void07 thanks for briefly explaining the whole concept ...but you get me wrong at some points

firstly i don't mind spending 1000 of dollars in start , i am not going to provide cheap hosting and i may hire someone expert in this field to help me with server management

i have no plan to start hosting business just as hobby instead i am ready to adopt it as my full time business ..

another point to clear here that from the day i made this thread i have done a deep research on starting a hosting business and WHT hepled me alot ...and i got what i need i.e i have built a road map for myself..

i will start by learning more about linux its commands,security and other stuff then i will move to learn xen virtualization

slowly but i think if we have dedication we can easily get success in online business

that's all i have to say for now..
    go

Website's:
    HostHaat.Com
    @leonight

You Can Start With Managed cPanel/WHM Reseller Account.
    You Wont Need To Manage Anything in this and also very cheap for a quick start.

Regards

If you want to start your hosting business , just start it from reseller hosting. If you want to up the level your company provide 24/7 support. Only by support you can get much clients.

Leonight,

Where are you based?

If you are truly serious about breaking into the market and have done the research, i'm more than willing to go a bit more in depth with you but not openly on these forums.

If you took my post with a grain of salt and it didn't deter you even a bit then I can definitely pass on a bit of knowledge to help you out and get you a little closer to beating the statistics.

Send me a PM.

Thanks.

You can start with Managed cPanel/WHM reseller account and with End User Support, they will support your customers and manage the server.

Quote Originally Posted by void07 View Post
    Leonight,

Where are you based?

If you are truly serious about breaking into the market and have done the research, i'm more than willing to go a bit more in depth with you but not openly on these forums.

If you took my post with a grain of salt and it didn't deter you even a bit then I can definitely pass on a bit of knowledge to help you out and get you a little closer to beating the statistics.

Send me a PM.

Thanks.
    where are you please check your inbox
    go

Thread Information