Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6916 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good recommended VPS company for newbie to vps?

Hey, i am looking to experiment with a VPS host to get my feet wet and learn more about it and i was wondering did you have any good recommends?

I have one host in mind who is giving a 10 day free trial which is perfect(since i wont have to pay unless I actually like their services)

but i do not mind paying but i dont want to pay an arm and a leg just to play around for something that may be an arm or leg.

Looking for a reputable company with little to no downtime, good support and the price is good(Promos are awesome if they offer).

Doesn't necessarily have to be a Offshore host as I am not going to put anythng illegal on the experiment vps

(My apologies if i posted this is in the wrong place. I was going to post this in VPS but i thought it may go better here.)
    Micah Sin Reviewed by Micah Sin on . Good recommended VPS company for newbie to vps? Hey, i am looking to experiment with a VPS host to get my feet wet and learn more about it and i was wondering did you have any good recommends? I have one host in mind who is giving a 10 day free trial which is perfect(since i wont have to pay unless I actually like their services) but i do not mind paying but i dont want to pay an arm and a leg just to play around for something that may be an arm or leg. Looking for a reputable company with little to no downtime, good support and the Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Thank you scopehosts!

fanaticalvps.com
    hostingcove.com

these two are the best i ever used

you can also find some good vps's on lowendbox.com if u wanted a minimal vps with a decent price

Thanks to you as well Spyro

My questions are this.....
    I have no experience at all with VPS. I've mostly gotten the understanding of hosting down but i do know shared is limited.

1. Cpanel
    The appeal for shared hosting is that it comes with Cpanel which is quite simple to use for beginngers like myself.

on VPS, i believe that this cost extra or do some host integrate it like shared hosting?
    If it does cost, how much is a decent price to pay monthly for it?

2. Root Access?
    What exactly is this and why is it important?

3. Solus VM Control panel vs Cpanel?
    What is the difference

4. RAM

I know that most Vps start at 128 MB(on the cheap end)

What exactly is the ram for?

My largest site is a forum that has 260 members, 30,000 posts and at max 30-40 online users at once(usually 15-25 normally are online).

How much ram would be needed for a site that size?

5. Command prompts?

I think if i read correcrtly that without cpanel, you need to know command promtps or something? Exactly what kind of things would this be needed for?

Sorry for the newb questions but i am very interested in learning more.

1 ) cPanel

Ans ) You need to take cPanel/WHM panel for VPS which will cost 15$/mo . This is needed if you are going with unmanaged vps services . The providers i mentioned above, they provide cpanel/WHM Panel for free.

2) Root Access

Ans) Its an integral part of the VPS . Which controls full vps and works on command base.

3) Solus VM Control panel vs Cpanel?

Ans ) Solusvm Control Panel is used for controlling VPS with basic functions like start/stop/reboot/reinstall OS/ Change Main IP`s etc .

cPanel/WHM panel is used for controlling the website files , creating cpanel accounts for websites , creating FTP Accounts , Creating Database, etc.

4) RAM

RAM is also an integral part of VPS . More the RAM , more easy processing of the scripts.

1GB RAM would be more then enough . As cPanel Itself takes 384MB-512MB RAM

5) Command Prompts?

If you are not going with cpanel . And want to host website with control panel . Then you need to know installing and configuring Apache webserver, PHP , MYSQL , FTP Server . These are basic needs to be installed through SSH Root Access Command Prompt.

Apart from these above services , You need to install security modules like firewall, shell/exploit protection , SSH hardening and many more security tweaks need to be made before releasing site online..

Hope My answers helped you out.

Yeah that helps out quite a bit actually thank you!

Banned
    Website's:
    XmasPresent4Me.com
    Micah let me offer you some advice from experience.

For your first VPS, if you are going to use it for hosting, spend the extra money for cpanel if it is not included. This alone will save you lots of issues/headaches to start off with and may keep you from being discouraged.

There are other software products that can be substituted for cpanel but if you are coming from a shared hosting environment cpanel is probably what you are accustomed to.

Banned
    Website's:
    xsl.tel xsltel.com
    @WDF
    I'm afraid your suggestion is totally wrong.

cpanel was made for companies to offer/automated shared hosting. but for hosting 1 - 10 sites its worthless.

wasting your money just for 1 site with cpanel is kinda sucks (excuse my language but its real).

get yourself a small VPS from lowendbox.com. read tutorials from web and cyberciti.biz . you will learn linux in 1 week as max.

your other option is to use Directadmin as control panel. you will earn a good experience with linux by time by using that panel only.

Highest Regards
    Mohammed H

totally agree with above comment , addition use free panel if u know not much about linux like kloxo very easy to manage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information