Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
6983 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Default OVH and its 10 Gbps servers

I've been seeing these 10 Gbps servers around here and there. They started to triggered my mind and I'm curious about their performance. What I want to most talk about is its hard disk performance because everything else seem okay, except the disks. MG BestOF as an example.

From my experience, SATA2 disks give max speed of 120 MB/s read/write roughly, if the disk is in great health condition. Since HW RAID 0 will mutiply that number, two SATA2 disks should give around 240 MB/s read/write. Here comes something interesting. Theoretically 10 Gbps speed should give max speed of 1.25 GB/s but we all know that ain't gonna happy for a price such as *?199.99/month. Can burst to it for a short time, yes, can sustain is for a long time, don't think so.

So, according to the default config of MG BestOF, data could be written at max speed of 240 MB/s roughly but the network is capable of 1.25 GB/s. Isn't this same as having a speed limit of 240 MB/s (which translates to roughly 2 Gbps)? Since no matter what, the hardware you have won't allow you to write/read faster than that?

It's like selling Lamborghini's to a busy city citizens, where speed limits are 50-60 km/h max.

In this case, don't you think the EG BestOF is better to go with? (unless they allow you to add more disks in the RAID array).

Throw in your thoughts.
    LEVAC109 Reviewed by LEVAC109 on . OVH and its 10 Gbps servers I've been seeing these 10 Gbps servers around here and there. They started to triggered my mind and I'm curious about their performance. What I want to most talk about is its hard disk performance because everything else seem okay, except the disks. MG BestOF as an example. From my experience, SATA2 disks give max speed of 120 MB/s read/write roughly, if the disk is in great health condition. Since HW RAID 0 will mutiply that number, two SATA2 disks should give around 240 MB/s read/write. Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Website's:
    bypassx.com
    Perhaps they provide SAS or SSD... but i doubt that you can use full network bandwith 1.25 GB/s.

From my point of view is waste money buy 10Gbps servers for the average user, in my opinion 1Gbps is enougth and fast enougth.

Totally agree with the Lamborgini eaxample

Banned
    Website's:
    CloudNXT.net
    Well for starters its a marketing technique and they do offer SSD Disk on MG Hybrid and MG SSD. Some RDP Providers here sell 10gbps servers on SATA Disk. Although only plus point is that when u burst EG Bestof to full 1gbps constantly for more than 10 hrs they will suspend u. but they wont when its 10gbps since ur only using 1-2gbps max thats like 20%

Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Zeokat View Post
    Perhaps they provide SAS or SSD... but i doubt that you can use full network bandwith 1.25 GB/s.

From my point of view is waste money buy 10Gbps servers for the average user, in my opinion 1Gbps is enougth and fast enougth.

Totally agree with the Lamborgini eaxample
    Yes, the other types of MG's have SSD or SAS options but the thing is their servers don't have enough slots to put more disk in the RAID so that they sum of all disks can reach 10 Gbps. It's like they purposely meant to false-advertise, or something. I'm not sure how to say it but I don't wish to bash them since I don't have any problems with them.

Edit: @EnCi: That's some good point and I wasn't aware of that suspension for using 1 Gbps constantly. Does that suspension apply to all clients from all TLD's or only .com?

@LEVAC109, agreed with you sir, that is why most of users are going for 2Gbps ports on colocations, its the best choice if you want to use huge bandwidth.

Banned
    Website's:
    CloudNXT.net
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVAC109 View Post
    Yes, the other types of MG's have SSD or SAS options but the thing is their servers don't have enough slots to put more disk in the RAID so that they sum of all disks can reach 10 Gbps. It's like they purposely meant to false-advertise, or something. I'm not sure how to say it but I don't wish to bash them since I don't have any problems with them.

Edit: @EnCi: That's some good point and I wasn't aware of that suspension for using 1 Gbps constantly. Does that suspension apply to all clients from all TLD's or only .com?
    my .ie got suspended once reason given

Port Abused its not a dedicated port but shared

What if you share the port among 3 hard disks ? clearly you are wrong at this topic.
    They do not provide 10gbit on one hard disk but more.

i have an 10gbit and i can upload with up to 1000mb/s

All uploads were uploaded at the same time.

Thread Information