Activity Stream
48,167 MEMBERS
61045 ONLINE
besthostingforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter besthostingforums On Twitter besthostingforums On Facebook besthostingforums On facebook groups

Banned
    Website's:
    biohost.info biohost.biz biohost.net blu.me.uk

Default Why do most webhosts hide there uptime?

I don't understand why they hide there uptime, to me it's something the client should be able to check and see whenever they want to, at Biohost we've always had a lifetime status2k license (when they still had life time) and we keep it up as often as possible (We had taken it down when the V1 exploit was found) So I just really wanted to share,
    http://www.biohost.info/status/ (may take about 10-30 seconds to load cause it checks every server) and yes we have three servers with ROOT that all went down when they did a network update and a few of our nodes went offline, now this doesn't show ALL of our servers but mainly those people request to be on it and they really like it (Hazard and gate keeper are host servers) Also in every welcome email we tell them the server there on and a link to the status2k page so they can monitor there own server. So the real question and topic for discussion is,

Why do so many hosts hide this information when it should be shared with your client no matter what, if it's the best or not I think people should be able to know how there server is, if it's laggy to be able to see if the load is high and such. Do you think what we are doing is a bad thing? If so please tell me why? Thanks Hope we can have a nice discussion about this
    Biohost Reviewed by Biohost on . Why do most webhosts hide there uptime? I don't understand why they hide there uptime, to me it's something the client should be able to check and see whenever they want to, at Biohost we've always had a lifetime status2k license (when they still had life time) and we keep it up as often as possible (We had taken it down when the V1 exploit was found) So I just really wanted to share, http://www.biohost.info/status/ (may take about 10-30 seconds to load cause it checks every server) and yes we have three servers with ROOT that all Rating: 5

2.   Sponsored Links

Announcing to everyone exact versions of software you use (like you did on your status page)is just stupid. People having exploits for certain versions of PHP or Apache or linux kernel can use simple google dork to extract long list of potential targets.
    If potential client has specyfic needs in that matter (for example legacy scripts that doesn't work properly with newest versions of PHP ) they can always contact support with inquiry.

As for the uptime itself - it simply tells nothing. I'll take a host that updates the system regullary each week ( even if it means that server goes down for five minutes every 7 days) over one that has 300+ days of uptime, but uses so old versions of software that even my younger brother could root them.

Banned
    Website's:
    biohost.info biohost.biz biohost.net blu.me.uk
    The thing is as well, those are not the correct php installations, you can "bluff" in status2k as well. We do keep all of our servers up to date, hence the short days on some servers, mind telling me where I said updating is bad? I never said that what so ever. There's nothing better then a secure server but then again who wants a host that is down every single day for long periods of time. Also I'm/my team isn't as stupid as you may think, we subscribe to several server exploit sites/cent OS exploit warning sites and as soon as a exploit is found we patch it, we don't just "OH MAYBE IT WON'T AFFECT US CAUSE WE NEEDS TO MAKES THE UPTIME LOOK GOOD" No, we don't do that, we simply update, if the server requires some downtime cause of it we let the customers know and that is that pretty well. As well it sorta sounds like a lame excuse to go offline alot and blame it on updates...when 90% of server updates don't require a reboot unless it's kernal related.

Website's:
    Xentos.nl
    WHMCS got a free version of that build in, although status2k look's better but it gives out unnecessary information and cost money( not much though ). also let's say someone ddos your website they will see what damage they cause.

don't get me wrong it's good only i don't like the versions which it gives out. i'd prefer making one myself which might even be faster then status2k.

@Ivan, don't get me wrong but why is an restart necessary, linux can update without restarting a server. only when upgrading kernel's you will need a restart.

Thread Information